Friday, August 7, 2009

dance, dance, wherever you may be...everbody dances when they gotta pee...

Well, how do you like that. Doc said it'd take 4-6 weeks for my ankle to heel. I was walking in 2 weeks, walking without pain in 3, and without a limp in 4. By 5 weeks I could hop up and down the stairs normally, and by 6 I could run a very awkward type of run. So here I am, going into my 7th week. You'd think I could start dancing by now. and I don't mean the little 2-step, waltz, and tango etc, that take one or two minutes to finish. I mean the ridiculous type of dancing I would do, all by myself in my little room, with a huge imaginary audience watching me as the sound of Leahy blared out of my stereo.

That's right. Step-dancing.

I never did properly learn how, aside from a few steps shown to me by my future sister-in-law. That and watching the Leahy sisters and Natalie MacMaster are all I've had to teach me. And I must tell you, it definitely shows - which is why I never dance when there's anybody around. My imagination finds the pretence thrilling, and my body finds the exercise invigorating. I don't need to be an expert Cape Breton step-dancer. I'm perfectly happy dancing in my little room, trying to match my steps with the "tap tap" sound coming from various Leahy/Natalie recordings. I'm certainly no pro when it comes to the moonwalk, with Natalie does so nicely, but my imaginary agent seems to think so.

Alright. So maybe I dwell too much in my imaginary world, where nothing goes wrong (unless it's in the script....yes, I'm an actress, too). Maybe I should stick to REAL exercise that people do: jogging, biking, swimming, weights....but where's the fun in that? I suppose while jogging I could pretend I'm a secret agent chasing a dangerous criminal, or while I'm biking I could be a world-champion horse racer at the Kentucky Derby. Swimming...well, I'm afraid I spend too much time pretending I'm drowning after the ship explodes to focus on doing laps.

My point is, as much as I find these different imaginings.....different, maybe even exciting, I have always preferred dancing as my form of exercise. No, really, I have! When our family was expecting its first wedding, and I had to order a new outfit, what did I do to keep in shape? Why, I danced, of course! Back then I was obsessed with the '50's. Twists, hops, jives, etc...I didn't know how, but I had a ton of fun doing it.

So, again, on Monday it will be 7 weeks now since I sprained my ankle. And I still can't dance for more than a couple minutes. I can't even twist my foot properly, which is necessary for some of the steps I've learned.

Oh woe is me.

1 comment:

  1. Start doing yoga to strengthen the ligimants. I was a dancer too, now I have to do more (when time allows). But, how I do miss uninhibated youth, and dancing.

    ReplyDelete