Thursday, April 9, 2009

I need to start writing again

I was going through my old notebooks when I found an entry I wrote a couple years ago:

"One of my most cherished memories happened a long time ago, when I played in a music recital at our local nursing home. When I was finished my piece, I moved away from the upright piano and saw a lady in the back beckoning me to her. After walking to her and sitting beside her, a remarkable thing happened. She told me a story.
She started by telling me how much she and her late husband loved music. How all her kids could play the piano. How each morning she and her husband would wake up and start dancing and singing.
That, unfortunately, is all I can remember of her story. But those words have meant more to me than any others I have heard, because of the simplicity and honesty with which the lady spoke.
I especially relish the thought of someday waking up singing and dancing with my own future husband. Of teaching all my children the beauty and power music holds.
After a few years went by I went back to the nursing home in hopes of finding that lady, but she was nowhere to be seen. I didn't even know her name. It saddened me, because I longed to see her just to say, "Thank you. Thank you for choose me, out of all those other musicians, to tell your story to. I'll never forget it."
I'll always hold a special love and reverence for our seniors who grew up in the 30's and 40's. They are the ones who built our communities, who upheld the freedom of our countries, who gave their very lives for the ones they loved.
So many people have asked me why I love the 1930's and 40's era so much - why I don't just live in the present, like a "normal" teenager. Well, I'll tell you why:
Our generation is a baby generation. Think about it. Those living in the 30's and 40's went through a series of hardships and disaster. They had to deal with bankruptcy, drought and famine, and war. They had to learn to fight for money, for food, for life. When I see those seniors walk into the coffee shop, usually missing a finger or two, I just wish so hard I weren't so shy, so I could go up to them and say, "Thank you".
Our generation is a baby generation. Most of us didn't have to work -- hard -- until we were out of highschool. Not many know what it's like to go to bed, worrying about where your next week's meals will come from. What little we have seen of war is but a shadow of what war really is. Instead of fighting for our rights, we have become content with crying for them. Let's face it kids: we're a spoiled society.
Firefighters. Military. Paramedics. Police. Seniors.
Thank you. "

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rheanne,

    I just read your story and with tears in my eyes I agree with you. Thank you for sharing. I recognize it and know what you mean. There is a guy at church who looks like a guy for the resistance from WOII... I wish I had the guts to ask his story.

    With Love,
    Jedidja

    ReplyDelete