Thursday, June 25, 2009

We're all probably going to get old.

It's a fact of life. Deal with it.

I just came back from the nursing home - tagged along with Mom to see an old parishioner who just turned 100 years old. I really should bring my violin some there and play them a few tunes. After about 2 or 3 hours of good practise, of course. I used to go and play the piano sometimes, back when I was still taking lessons. But my piano skills have gone way down. The only thing I can do is read notes (even that is going down - with the left hand notes. Violin doesn't have bass clef and I'm forgetting fast) and play little kid's songs. Even then, I think they would prefer some old time fiddling to some gloomy Beethoven or overly-prissy Mozart or a mind-boggling piece by Chopin -- not that I ever played HIM, of course!

When I get old, if I get old, and am placed in a nursing home, I would want people to come by and play the music I listened to when I was younger. But then again, in this day and age so many people have such a wide taste in music, I highly doubt that the music I listen to now would be warmly welcomed in nursing homes of the future: Irish and Cape Breton fiddling, swing music, Josh Groban, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby...my goodness, will the future generation even know who these people are?!?!?! I for one will do everything in my power to introduce this music into my children's heads and hope beyond all hope that they will grow to love it as I do. I mean really, how can you NOT love the fast-paced, dance-able, jigs and reels of Cape Breton? Or the minor-keyed off-beat tunes of Ireland?

I'm rambling.

Oooh, watermelon!!

1 comment: