Saturday, June 11, 2011

Old-Fashioned Daydreamer

This picture of Jean Arthur gets me every time I look at it. I guess it's the dreamy expression in her eyes - it brings back so many of my daydreaming moments, where my imagination transcends time and space itself. I've always been an avid daydreamer - I think "avid" is the right word - but you know what? I think you already know that. I'm sure I must have mentioned in detail my many imaginings as a child, and how these daydreams still exist, even through college.

Well, you don't need to hear all that again. Really, you don't need to hear anything again. But, as long as I like to write, and as long as dopes like you (I say that in the most endearing way, of course) continue to subscribe to my silly blog, I'm going to keep on writing about things you don't need to know.

Like books, for instance. Talk about stimulation for avid daydreamer!
(again, hoping that "avid" is the correct term)
I just love books. All books -- that is, all old books, all classic books, all books that have satisfied millions of hopeless romantics like me in their endeavors to push the daydream button in our brains. I recently obtained a nice little collection (four or five little books) of poetry, the author of which I have never heard of, so I think it unneccessary to point him out. Here is one way in which books have the power to hold my imagination. Not knowing the author, and not being particularly partial to any types of poetry myself, I don't look inside these books for their content. Rather, I look at them for their history, for the story they tell. Because, you see, these books are mostly over one hundred years old. And I love old books.

Some of them have been through fire, and are a little scarred; one has paper covers added to hide the missing original; one, published in 1952, says, "First Edition: This book is a collector's item. Don't part with it." Another is a French religious work dated 1893. Now, with books like these sitting on my shelf, do you wonder that I'm so proud of them? So willing to glance at them, in them, every now and then, and look at the many notes written inside by their previous owners? In this is the history, not the content. And I love it.

Anyways. I'm going to go daydream.

1 comment: